Sunday, March 31, 2019

Postcard Labyrinth Contest

Steve Jackson Games finally announced the rules for their Postcard Labyrinth Contest this past week. I've been thinking about entering ever since they first mentioned it. The trick is to come up with something unique. You say, "Well duh."

I started mine in a strange way. I'm not going to give too many details, but I started by laying out some of the new mega hexes that came with the Legacy edition. I decided to make it an outdoor encounter rather than underground or inside a building. The goal is for a party of 4 - 5 characters to kill the guards, fight the bad guy and his personal bodyguard and save a princess.

I created stats for all the baddies and wrote the whole thing up with the map to fit on a 5 x 7 inch postcard. Today I laid it all out on the dining room table and chose 4 beginning characters from the selection of character cards (Alden, Edulf, Jon of the Isles, and Yvvan) along with a beginning wizard. For that I chose Yzor, from the basic Wizard rules.

It was an ugly battle. People fell down and dropped or broke weapons. They had to fight uphill and cross hexes of fire. But in the end they managed to cut through the defenses and rush the boss. I was satisfied that beginning characters could win and a more experienced party could do well. In the write-up I added a couple of tougher guards to challenge a more experienced party.

Now I'll take the file to a copy shop and get it printed on a good card stock, put a stamp on it and send it in to the contest. Then I'll start thinking about another one. After all I have until May 1st to do one or more additional entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment