Sunday, May 12, 2019

Huxton Lady - 40-foot Cog

In Hexagram #1 David Pulver writes an excellent article about Ships and Boats in TFT. In the article he gives us the stats for a variety of craft from canoes to 120' carracks to sail on the rivers, lakes and seas of Cidri. Besides the stats he includes rules information on sailing speeds, rivers and currents, rocks, reefs, and shoals, storms, poor crews, and rates for cargo and passengers.

Recently I dug up my notes from 35 years ago. I had designed a ship for my campaign (that never was). She was the Huxton Lady, a 40-foot sloop and now I am amazed how closely it came to fitting the specifications of Pulver's 40-foot cog, a single-rigged, square sailed, round bottom merchantman popular in the Medieval period.

My ship was the same length and sloop rigged with a crew of 4 and a capacity of 20 tons, whereas the 40-foot cog has a minimum crew of 5 and capacity of 25 tons. As far as size in concerned in the number of 4 foot hexes used. Both ships are the same with 10 x 3 hexes!

Here is my original plans that were drawn long ago using hex paper and pen, along side new plans I drew on the computer.



No comments:

Post a Comment