Thursday, January 24, 2019

Hail and well met.

Welcome. Many years ago I stumbled on a game that caught my attention. D&D was popular at the time, but from what I read of it, it was too complex for my tastes. This game though was in a small booklet with cardboard counters and a paper map -- all in a plastic bag. It was called Melee by Steve Jackson and published by Metagaming. I bought it and immediately fell in love with it's simple mechanics and ease of play.

You create a couple of characters and they hack and slash each other until there was a victor. I didn't have a friend to play the game with, but no matter. There was a solo adventure called Death Test. I could create several characters and send them into the dungeon to be attacked by bears, wolves, spiders, not to mention orcs and other fell beings with sharp blades.

Other modules came out to satisfy my lust for more adventure. Wizard, the magical combat rules, expanded the game and other solo options came out: Death Test 2, Grail Quest, Treasure of the Silver Dragon, Treasure of the Unicorn Gold, and others that I didn't buy. Finally Metagaming produced the Fantasy Trip which included Advanced Melee, Advance Wizard, In The Labyrinth, and the adventure Tollenkar's Lair.

A couple of things happened then. One was Steve Jackson and Metagaming parted ways, (Did I say that nice enough?) and a bit later Metagaming went out of business. The other was my life got more complicated with finding and trying to maintain a job -- I seemed to have a bad habit of being hired by companies on the verge of bankruptcy. I now had a larger family and as the Fantasy Trip resources dried up I had other things on my mind.

Many, many years passed. I'm now a grandfather and retired teacher. I've got lots of time on my hand and I never gave up on my desire to be a professional kid -- my grandchildren help there. One day I see in my news feed that Steve Jackson has regained the rights to his brainchild and is republishing The Fantasy Trip™through a kickstart and I yelled, "I want it All!"


So here I am, playing the game again. I joined a local group of gamers to play a campaign at our local game store (thank you One Eyed Jacques). I haven't found all my old materials, but I have found a number of old maps and campaign ideas. I plan to post them here along with stories and notes on our current campaign. I hope you will follow me.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment