Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Dying Is A Pain: I Don't Recommend It

I've died twice now in our TFT campaign. The first time Krupke was hacked up with a double damage roll by an orc with a battle axe. The second time was in our most recent session.

We have been exploring a wizard's tower. We have climbed many levels so far and fought a variety of monsters and dealt with a few traps. On the highest level we reached so far were two demonic creatures called Pink Horrors. They fight with their teeth and claws. There are several other things in the room: the skeleton of a giant bird, two dead imps, and three circles at various points in the room. These circles are marked with magical runes. We decide to avoid stepping in them.

Anyhow, about the me being dead part. The two PH charge us. One attacks Krupke (me) and the other attacks our friendly Tin Woodsman. We manage to kill the first one easily enough, but as he goes poof in a cloud of acrid sulfurous smoke, two smaller Blue Horrors appear to replace him. One engages me in hand-to-hand combat. It's a smart move on his part. I have to drop my sword and shield and fail to draw my dagger. Before I can get back to my feet, it has done an excessive amount of damage and I am dead (-4 strength).

I'll say this for my group. They don't give up on one another. They manage to kill the other horrors and try to heal me. We play with the house rule that our physicker can heal two points of each separate wound. I had three so I got back 6 points through healing. The team also poured 4 healing potions down my throat. I was alive again but still banged up.

As the others explored the room the rogue tested the magic circles by throwing dead imps into them. The imp bounced off an invisible wall in the first circle. The third circle did nothing of note, but when our wizard stepped in it he felt refreshed as his fatigue disappeared. When the dead imp was thrown in the second circle it came back to life and managed to escape as arrows flew. Krupke stepped into the circle and was completely healed. The rest of the party did the same if they had any other wounds to heal. The only one that didn't benefit from the healing circle was our tin woodsman. Our jack-of-all-trades physicker is also a mechanician. He was able to make some repairs to our tin Gollum, but not to full health.

We still have at least one more level of the tower to explore, but for now we go back down the stairs and explore and loot rooms we had bypassed.

Besides dying occasionally I am having tremendous fun in this campaign. If you have a good GM, and we do, he provides you with ways to keep going if you are smart enough to find and use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment